Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Summer Update & Rolemaster

Unfortunately, we were not able to have a gaming session this past Sunday because there were not enough people. As we get deeper into the campaign, it will be more helpful to have larger groups hear what is going on. So...

Summer Adventure
I would like to reiterate that we will be having a large summer adventure on June 27-28 (with an alternative date of July 11 & 12). Please try to keep both times free. As soon as I get a few more confirmations, we can make this definite.

Rolemaster
As many of you have already noticed (or already pointed out), 1st Edition AD&D can be nostalgic and easy to play, but it can get a little tedious. Role-playing elements help to bring that out, but ultimately it may leave you wanting for something more.

Back in the day, I purchased quite a few books in the Rolemaster series. I have included a link to the wikipedia entry. It is a fantasy role-playing setting, much like AD&D. It is, however, a very detailed system. If there is a type of character you want to play, you can probably create. The combat system puts our critical hit charts to shame...it is easy to kill (or be killed) by critical strikes. It also puts a real emphasis on skills and skill usage.

The game is pretty complex and character creation is a 2-3 hour affair. But, I think there is a real opportunity to have some cool and deep adventures. This is something I want to talk to you guys about this summer. I may even have a 1-2 hour tutorial/mini-adventure for you guys to try it out.

3 comments:

InfernalJustice said...

I hate to do this last minute but it looks like the alternative date would work better for me (July 11 & 12). Although I can still make the June 27 & 28 if that works for the majority.

I'd also like to take some time to make my pitch for Rolemaster. I've played it only a few times but each session was memorable. Jim is right on about the detail of the system and deadliness. I played a charcater that I couldn't have easily created in any other system I've played. The combat system is singificantly more realistic than 1st Edition D&D which means that everytime you are in a fight you have a chance of dying or being severely wounded. This of course forces players to really consider their actions and play more realistic roles.

I also have some of the rolemaster books and I may be getting my hands on some more soon and I'd love to try it again.

Anselm said...

Either works for me!

Anonymous said...

I should be off for the June weekend, I can't wait!!! It'll be awesome!!!