Monday, October 6, 2008

Lac's Chronicles: The Possession of the Crown, Part II

As I reflect on the encounter with the zombies, I forgot to talk about the conversation that we had when we talked with Arkandy of Greyhawk City. All members of the party of Pholtus had a deep and honest conversation about why they were on this mission, serving Pholtus. Some were sure, some were not. Tensions were high...it was obvious to me that some individuals were not doing this for Pholtus, but for other reasons. How this will play out over time remains to be seen.

Needless to say, there was a feeling that members of the party abandoned the group in the middle of a combat and I was worried about how this would affect morale. We moved on. We managed to get the middle door in the fountain room to open, though I know not why. After going through it, we encountered a trapper. It looked like stone ground, but it folded over three of our party members! We managed to fight it off, but in the process, some were also taken by a creature similar but posing as a fake wall.

Friends, it was then that I got the sense that we were not meant to take this crown. I have never encountered so much frustration from one dungeon. We made our way through a false tomb of Phillius and then found ourselves in the actual tomb.

It was at this time that we faced our greatest challenge up until that point. We were faced with...the Deathmaster. I will say this about the Deathmaster, we did not do any damage to him the entire combat. And trust me, we had the opportunities to do so. I am not sure what happened to the party.

Along with the Deathmaster, there was a mummy and a otyugh. We assume that the mummy was once the body of Phillius. The otyugh was a horrific sight. Both creatures gave many of us bad diseases. The Deathmaster never said anything, but he did a great deal of damage to us. Before we could get a hand on him (Ervis did try), he turned into a bat and disappeared. We defeated his creatures and were able to move on.

We have yet to encounter a snake or dragon...we have yet to find the crown. I wonder what waits ahead?

No comments: